The Welsh Government funded Pupil Development Grant is available to help towards the costs of a child’s school uniform and equipment, for those on a low income.
If you’re eligible you can apply for the grant from the beginning of July 2020. The closing date for applications is December 31, 2020.
Depending on the school year your child will be entering in September 2020 you could receive a grant of £125 or £200.
What can the grant be used for?
The grant can be used to pay towards the cost of...
- School uniform
- School sports kit
- Uniform for wider activities (e.g. sports, scouts and guides)
- Equipment (e.g. school bags and stationery)
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin (e.g. design and technology)
- Equipment for out of school hours trips (e.g. waterproofs for outdoor learning)
Who is eligible for the grant?
To be eligible you will need to be receiving certain benefits, and your child will be part of one of the following groups in September 2020:
- Entering reception or year 3 of a Wrexham primary school
- Entering year 7 or 10 of a Wrexham secondary school
- Entering reception, year 3, year 7 or year 10 in a special school, special needs resource base, or pupil referral unit, in Wrexham
All looked after children of compulsory school age who are looked after by us (the local authority) are also eligible for the grant.
What benefits do I need to be receiving?
You’ll need to be receiving one of the following...
- Income Support
- Child Tax Credit (with an income below the HMRC set limit)
- Jobseekers Allowance (income based)
- Employment and Support Allowance (income based)
- Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
- Universal Credit (provided the household has an annualised net income of no more than £7,400)
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
If you are receiving Working Tax Credit you won’t be eligible for this grant.
How much does the grant provide?
£125 is provided for children entering reception, Year 3, Year 10, and looked after children.
£200 is provided for children entering Year 7 (to help with the extra costs of starting secondary school).
When and how can I apply for the grant?
You can apply from early July 2020. The closing date is 31 December 2020.
You can apply using the online application form (you'll need to register an account with MyAccount first if you haven’t already).
How will I receive the grant?
The grant is paid by BACS Transfer to your bank account.